Friday, October 26, 2007

Week 7: #17 Blog About Technology

When I was watching CSI:NY this Wednesday night, I thought, "This is what I'm going to write about on my blog." And fortunately, it fits right in with this week's Discovery exercise. The episode was about people on Second Life website. I'd heard about Second Life, but I've never been on the site. From what I understand, someone creates a character and an avatar for that character -- and then can do fantasy-type things or just everyday, average things or, well, anything.

So I sat there wondering why people were on Second Life. I can sort of understand the Internet being a part of social networking. I met my closest friend on a listserv 12 years ago. But what began as writing back and forth through email led to meeting in person. Does that happen much from interaction on Second Life? I suppose it does, but I was left wondering. If a person's Second Life is based on an ideal or fantasy, what happens when reality comes into play?

Now I may be an analog girl, but I can see the allure of some games online. But Second Life's appeal escapes me. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my First Life. So I really cannot imagine myself in the Second Life world. If reincarnation exists, I'll tackle my Second Life then.

2 comments:

BlueDiamond said...

Wow imagine a second life. I don't think so. I have trouble with the life I have. But now we know what others are doing this is kind of scary.

Unknown said...

I'm with you! Dealing with the First Life is enough of a challenge!